access to part of crack from outside

Old 05-25-06, 08:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Removing the old deck to build a new one has given me the oppertunity to see the cracks of the foundation of my house that had caused water leakage in the basement a few years ago. The cracks were repaired by epoxy injection and have had no problem so far...Having said that, access from outside to the crack, tempts me to do something about it.
I am not able to dig the ground and go deep in the ground to the bottom of the crack due to several issues...Is there some sort of liquid that I can pour in the shalow (1 1/2 foot) hole I have made beside the crack that at least have a positive effect in stopping the leakage? ANY recommendadtion that helps me to make the crack less problem making is appreciated.
Thanks
Cyrus

Old 05-26-06, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Now that you have the old deck off, make sure you have good draianage away from the house. Cover the graded soil with heavy poly if you are going to build a new deck.This is the cheapest and most effective method of waterproofing.

Dumping something in the hole will not help if the water cann accumulate and eventually go around and down.

Dick

Old 05-26-06, 06:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dick,
The soil below the old deck has a sharp slop (steep) towards the foundation.
Can I use some bolts and the holes inside the foundation (that kept the old deck's ledger board) to "hang" the heavy poly from the wall so that it has a steep towards the yard? My new deck will be a stand alone one and I do not need those holes anymore.
Any other solution?
Cyrus

Old 05-26-06, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You have to get the ground around your foundation sloping away- if only 5 or 6 feet to a low area (swale of open drainage area) that continues to carry it further away. You could attach the poly, but it probably would very liitle good. The water can get in the soil under the poly if you do not have good drainage.

The slope and water in the soil around your forundation could be one of the reasons for the cracks (can't say for sure from where I sit). The moisture increases the pressure of the wall.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: