Concrete Over Asphalt?

Old 05-30-06, 08:56 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Over Asphalt?

My driveway is in need of repair. It is a straightforward enough job, being only 25' X 16'. I was going to have the old, existing asphalt resurfaced with a fresh coat. Simple and at a reasonable cost.
However, my wife wants something a bit more elegant and, of course, expensive. I checked out the cost of a concrete drive, but that will run us around $4K.
One option before us is stamped concrete, where two thin layers of concrete are poured over the existing asphalt. This concrete is then stamped and stained and sealed. The end result is an appearance of stone or tile, depending upon the pattern and colors selected. I have seen this work before and it can be quite appealing.
My question is can this be done over asphalt? Will the petroleum base of the asphalt and the existing cracks in it cause a problem with the concrete? I'd hate to have this done only to be facing the same situation in two years. Thank you!

Old 05-30-06, 10:18 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
I've never heard of or seen a thin stamped overlay over asphalt. However, if it is done I'll about guarantee that the existing cracks will transfer through the overlay. They crack on overlays over concrete, so I'm sure they would crack over asphalt as well.
How experienced is your contractor? I don't think anyone with much experience would even consider this. Not to mention doing it for less than about $4,000 anyway.
I'd bite the bullet and go with the new concrete.

Pecos

Old 05-30-06, 05:48 PM
Remove the blacktop and make sure your stone base is deep enough. Or your driveway will continue to crack.

Old 05-30-06, 07:14 PM
B
No, it can't be done over blacktop. No reputable overlay installer will do it. I don't know where you live, but that price prolly is for stamped concrete, including removal of the blacktop.
Asphalt can't just be dumped. It has to be recycled and there is an upcharge for doing that.

Old 05-31-06, 08:04 AM
C
Bob, I am located in south Florida. With the past two hurricane seasons raging through here, the cost of all home improvements has skyrocketed. Materials and qualified, competent labor are at a premium.
That $4K quote, by the way, was for removing the old asphalt, and pouring in a new cement driveway to a depth of 4", (if I remember correctly). Not stamped, either. Just a broom swept textured finish. Stamped, stained, etc., increases the cost markedly.

Old 06-01-06, 06:24 PM
B
Talking

I've got to move south!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: