Old 06-01-06, 02:45 AM
roadmut's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fulton, NY
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Foundation

I have an old house (built 1890) that was orginally two seperate bldgs under the one is a stone basement and the other a stone footer with crawl space I need to support this half and replace the entire foundation on the back 1/2 any suggestions on how go about this?
Old 06-02-06, 08:18 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 46
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to underpin your foundation. Definately not a DIY project. First consult with either a structural engineer or an architect. Get your plans then contact foundation construction specialists in your area for bids. Lot's of firms will claim to be able to do this work but very few actually can. You might want to stop by the local ready mix plant for some referrals. Good luck.
Old 06-02-06, 10:04 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,651
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
lawn turning to all stems?

You could also contact block producers for referrals.

Block walls are particularly adaptable to underpins because of the ability to build in stages, get above the possible mud from a rain and build up close to the top without filling problems.

Each contractor will have a preference depending on the individual home.

Your engineer can design the structural part. The amount and spacing of the steel will be about the same for either, unless you use 12" block (it may match existing better), where the steel size and amount of steel may be less.



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: