Porch / Cold Room Issue

Old 06-01-06, 05:42 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porch / Cold Room Issue

Hey DIYers and Pros, I'd like to once again call upon you all for some advice. I've recently renovated the basement in our home and have come to one of those things that I've been putting off and putting off.

First...here's the situation.

The front porch of our home was poured in such a way that it forms a "cold room" beneath it for keeping canned goods etc which is accessible from our basement. My wife and I arenít really into the whole canning thing so we've set out to convert this space to a storage area. I've tar-papered, framed and applied vapor barrier to the inside of the cold room and had moved onto other tasks.

Well recently with the change in weather I've noticed ALOT of condensation building up in the ceiling of cold room. So much so that throughout time it eventually releases a small stream of water through the electrical box where I plan to have a light. So yeah this can't be good. I've gone over the exterior porch and there is no major cracking, although I do have a lot of small chips on the surface that will need to be filled. Weíre partially to blame for these since they occurred when we tore off the astro-turf type material that was originally glued to the porch.

Now on to my questions...

First off, what type of product should I use to fill the chips on the porch and give it a smooth finish rather than the bumpy uneven surface it currently has? Will a skim coat with concrete be enough?

Second whatís a good approach to sealing the porch and eliminating the condensation problem I have in the cold room below? I know itís not a leak because when itís raining the cold room seems to dry up. But when the sun comes out, sure enough the condensation appears.

Iíd like to address these issues now because Iím nearing completion of the drywall stage in the basement and want to get the cold room done too. However I donít really want to drywall the cold room until I know this issue is resolved, which I could easily tell by looking at the vapor barrier and checking for the condensation.

Anyways Iíd really appreciate any input you may have. Many thanks in advance!

Old 06-01-06, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Porch / Cold Room Issue

More information is required about the room.

1. Where are you located?

2. You inferred that all 6 surfaces of the "wet room" were poured concrete. Is this correct?

3. You mentioned you applied tar-paper and and a vapor barrier to the inside. Exactly what is on each of the 6 surfaces?

4. Do you have any moisture on the reminder of the basement and do you have any type of a drain tile system in any part of the basement?

5. Is there any active or passive ventilation of the "wet room"?

6. What is the average humidity and temperature in the "wet room" compared to the rest of the basement?

Dick

Old 06-01-06, 07:14 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dick;

First and foremost thank you for your time.

1. Where are you located?
A. Ontario Canada.

2. You inferred that all 6 surfaces of the "wet room" were poured concrete. Is this correct?
A. Yes. The ceiling of the wet room is the underside of my front porch slab and its walls are what support the slab. The floor is the same concrete floor as the rest of the basement.

3. You mentioned you applied tar-paper and and a vapor barrier to the inside. Exactly what is on each of the 6 surfaces?
A. The walls are tar papered to the frost line on the back of my 2x4 framing, insulated with Roxul and lastly sealed up with poly the entire height of the wall. The ceiling is the same for the exception of no tar-paper.

4. Do you have any moisture on the reminder of the basement and do you have any type of a drain tile system in any part of the basement?
A. No the rest of the basement is bone dry and in the ten years we've been here we've never had water issues with the foundation.

5. Is there any active or passive ventilation of the "wet room"?
A. There used to be 2 passive vents in the room but have been sealed since deciding to change the purpose of this area.

6. What is the average humidity and temperature in the "wet room" compared to the rest of the basement?
A. In its original state, as a cold room, it was always very humid, damp and musty. Since sealing the vents and preparing the walls and ceiling it's very close to the rest of the basement but still seems a tad moist in comparison.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: