Possibly Huge Mistake

Old 06-05-06, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possibly Huge Mistake

OK, First I don't know if this is the correct forum as my problem is wood on Concrete. Anyway. I had a serries of plexiglas windows in 2x4 frames as a large part of my exterior wall. I decided to remove them and alter the opening for French doors. The original windows where about a foot off the 1st floor slab. My walls are concrete block. Well I remove the windows and framing, then kncoked out the blocks. Lo and bhold, it was now lower then the floor in the house. So I built it back up with 2x4s.

Now the OOPS. I place NON pressure treated 2x4s on what appears to be the footer. What can I do other that rip this all out and start again.

here is a photo of the completed work. The "problem" area is in the red circle.

http://pics.livejournal.com/trsdos/pic/0001qr1x

EDIT:

THis house is in annapolis, MD. And is 53 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 06:00 PM
Its hard to see in the picture, are the 2x4 s even with grade, I would coat them heavily with wood perseritive and hope for the best.

Old 06-05-06, 06:37 PM
It is under cover, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-06-06, 07:30 AM
I'm with Frank - Assuming this is your house, I would do a real good job of preserving the wood and leave it as is. What's the worse that could happen - the wood rots and will need to be replaced in X years. You will be in the same place that you are now - removing the door and replacing the sill with PT wood.

Old 06-06-06, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, Well to tell you the truth, the door has a life, as far as I am concerned, of 10 years MAX. By that time I will have 1) Built an addition where that whole construction will be removed , 2) tear down the house and rebuild or 3) Sold the house

I bought a couple of cans of wood preserver, and will pump it under around, etc. to saturate it, with my sprayer.