Piers question

Old 06-07-06, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Piers question

I am laying out the forms in preparation of pouring the slab for a building. On the slab prints it calls for 12" piers with 36" bells 9' deep. It will also have beams around the perimeter and under supporting walls. All well so far. However, it does not give enough detail to determine where the top of the pier begins and the slab surface begins.

Should the top of the piers be to the bottom of the beams, into the beams part way, to the bottom of the 4" surface, or, as it looks on the print, level with the top of the surface? (unlikely ans sounds stupid to me..) My opinion is that they should be enough into the beams to tie the rebar from the piers into the rebar in the beams, which only puts them about 4" into the bottom of the beams.

My intent it to pour the piers one day and a week later pour the surface and beams. There is no way it can all be poured in one day.

Comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-06, 01:10 PM
Piers question

It sounds like you have inadequate drawings or not all the drawings necessary for the building.

Are the piers supporting the slab?

There should be enough detains to be able to fabricate the reinforcing steel.

It almost sounds like a "canned" unengineered wrinkled tin building with no regard for anything it is connected to.

Try to find more drawings. There must be enough drawings to be able to get a permit for.

Dick

Old 06-07-06, 01:10 PM
To the bottom of the slab or below the beam, which every applies.

Old 06-07-06, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
It sounds like you have inadequate drawings or not all the drawings necessary for the building.
The drawing are adequate, I am not. But I'm getting there.

There is plenty of detail to fabricate the steel. I understand those notes perfectly.

Finally, after a while of studying the prints it becomes clearer. The piers cannot extend higher than the surrounding undisturbed soil. And the prints are calling for the beams to be a minimum of 24" deep. That reasoning puts the beams resting on top of the piers or a little into it. It really isn't that critical.