patio: touching inside corner of foundation

Old 06-08-06, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
patio: touching inside corner of foundation

my parents have a patio that is concrete and all busted up now and out of level. i've done some small slabs lately so i'm going to up the ante here.

the patio is connected on two sides to the house foundation. my first question was, how do you screed the slab if its only framed in on two sides.

other questions i have are, how do you make a grade in a concrete slab? just by the way you screed it?

and, how thick should this patio be poured? control joints every 4'?

thanks for your tips,
max

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-06, 03:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check out the thread "screed a pad" on page 2. It details the screeding process against a wall where you can't run the screed on a form board.
Concrete should be 4" thick. Joint spacing and placement is determined by the size of the slab and any re-entrant corners involved (corners pointing into the slab). Every 4' is probably too many, but it depends on the look you're going for. If you want it to look like 4' square tiles for instance, then go for it. Too many joints are much better than not enough of them.
Grade is set in the forms, and with chalk lines on the walls. Make certain you've got at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch of fall per foot away from the house. If not an experienced screeder, I would go with the 1/4 inch to avoid possible birdbaths when it rains. Good luck.

Pecos