How do I seal cracks or missing mortar between bricks?

Old 06-09-06, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I seal cracks or missing mortar between bricks?

Forgive me, but I am a complete novice when it comes to anything to do with masonry work. My house is brick on the outside and I've noticed that in some spots there are small cracks or occasionally some mortar is missing and there is a small hole. I need to patch these up.

What equipment and materials do I need? I literally need a specific list of what to buy to get the job done. Secondly, I assume once I have a mixture going, all I need to do is just fill in the cracks and make sure it looks nice, correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, make sure that those "holes" you are seeing are not there on purpose. If they are at the base of the wall, over or under windows and doors, do not fill them. If the cracking is minor (as in hairline), then it does not need to be repaired.

Old 06-10-06, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Basically repointing the mortar is easy but care must be used to keep the brick clean [dried mortar can be scrubbed off with muratic acid solution] An easier alternative would be to use some mortar caulk - found at most hardware/home improvement centers.