Stuccoing over painted cinderblocks?

Old 06-09-06, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuccoing over painted cinderblocks?

Hello,
I have an older, cinder block home (40) years that has about 4 layers of paint on it. In the areas that have gotten direct sunlight, I can scrape the paint off with a scraper using no chemicals. In the shady areas, even with every stripper available at Lowes/HD, it's a bear getting it off.
If I remove all the loose paint, and want to stucco over the block, would applying a good bonding agent over the existing, non-peeling paint be sufficient? Or does the house have to be completely stripped?
If so, will muriatic acid be better than a bonafide paint stripper, or is there a brand of stripper that would be better than others?
Thanks in advance
Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 05:59 PM
Technically, you should lath the building, so it will not really matter about the old paint. If you do not want to do this, you will have bonding issues as well as bleedthough of the joints when the stucco is wet.

Old 06-09-06, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tscarborough
Technically, you should lath the building, so it will not really matter about the old paint. If you do not want to do this, you will have bonding issues as well as bleedthough of the joints when the stucco is wet.
Okay, thanks. I was under the impression that it would only have to be lathed if I was going over wood sheathing.
For cinderblock, would I want to you use regular lath, without the tar paper behind it? Is the type with the moisture barrier only meant for wood?

Old 06-09-06, 07:01 PM
Yes, use the lightest weight you can buy (1.75 Oz per SqYd), self furred, no paper, and attach it with concrete nails into the mortar joints. If you do not want to lath it, then you need to remove all of the paint, and will suffer from the bleed through of the joints when wet.