Resurfacing Patio

Old 06-09-06, 08:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Resurfacing Patio

Hi guys ( and gals, gotta be PC!)
I am in the lower NYS area and am resurfacing my 20 year old ( at least!) 600 sq ft outdoor concrete patio that has a little wear and tear on it, mostly from fertilizers from the container gardening that I do. I know Quikrete has a Concrete resurfacer that runs about 24 dollars a bag at Lowes but I have also started to look at Ardex resurfacer. Has anyone used the Ardex and how does it stack up to the Quikrete?
I have priced it at a local builder supply and he quotes a price of $50 dollars a bag and all he says is that it is expensive and good, not a real hard seller here, but twice the cost of Q!? My heart almost stopped at that cost and wanted to break out laughing!! If I am to spend twice the cost I want to make sure it is a darn good product!!! I hate to pay the double price for a compariable product.
Any idea what this goes for in lower NYS? I think this guy was jerking my chain after checking his computer and then a calculator to come up with a price.
Any feedback appreciated.

Old 06-09-06, 08:41 PM
T
"Concrete Resurfacer" is a sand-cement mix with an integral acrylic additive. I sell Concrete Resurfacer for about 12 bucks a bag, and can make it from scratch for about 7 bucks a bag, and have a better product to boot.

Buy Sand Mix, and 1 bag of portland cement for each 10 bags of Sand Mix. Buy 1 gallon of Mortar additive (acrylic, not latex) per 10 bags of sand mix. Mix in proportion and resurface your patio.

Old 06-09-06, 10:04 PM
B
Resurfacer

TScarbough;
Thanks for the comeback. 12 Bucks!? Boy they sure do rip off up here! LOL!!. Even though they are probably all the same is there any particular brand of acrylic glue that you recommend?

Old 06-10-06, 05:04 AM
T
Acryl 60 is a commercial one, probably available through Sherwin-Williams.

Old 06-10-06, 06:39 PM
P
As Tscarborough said, you can make a serviceable overlay of your own. However, store-bought or homemade, it's no good if you don't do the proper prep work. To get a good bond, make sure you acid etch the surface, neutralize it, then clean and rinse it thoroughly. This will give you the proper profile for bonding.
Also, if you're only resurfacing in order to cover cracks, don't bother. The cracks will transfer back through the overlay in little or no time. You can fix pitting and scaling with an overlay, but not cracks.

Pecos

Old 06-10-06, 07:49 PM
B
Pecos

Pecos;
That's a given, I have already power washed and scrubed the patio with bleach and concrete washer to get rid of all algae and stains. The few cracks I realize will show. Only way for that is pavers or uniblocks, but that is for another time. Right now I am concentrating on the pitting, etc. from the fertilizer runoff from the container garden. Where there were no pots no problem!
Thanks for the reminder anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: