building a slate patio

Old 06-17-06, 08:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
building a slate patio

Hi! I bought a house that had a large slate walkway through the backyard. I thought the slates were small, but when I started to dig one up I realized the grass had grown over them and they are huge! Each is about 3' x 3' and probably and inch an a half thick. I hate the walkway, so my idea is to dig up the walkway, remove the slates, and make a patio out of the slates. I'd welcome any ideas on how to do this. I've never done a job like this--what should I know? I'm not a perfectionist as far as looks, but I do want the patio to hold up for years to come. The slate is in excellent condition, and I've already removed most of it. I just need to know how deep I need to dig, what to put under the slate, etc. I'd rather not use concrete. Any other tips you people with more experience have are appreciated. Thanks! jeannie

Old 06-18-06, 10:26 PM
Dig down 5 1/2" , this will allow for a 4" base shoulder stone or item 4, compact this with a 1/4" slope away from house to allow water runoff, place 1" of sand on top and the place stones, fill joints with sand.
Frank

Old 06-19-06, 07:24 AM
J
Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: