Brick on Concrete Patio

Old 06-22-06, 10:50 AM
Question Brick on Concrete Patio

What are the details to use the process of laying bricks on a solid concrete patio, without using mortar? I have been told about a process where you glue the perimeter bricks and then tightly lay the bricks in the middle. What type of glue is used in this application? And what are the limitations?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 11:50 AM
Brick on Concrete Patio

Sounds like you could have a few problems in addition to getting a permanent adhesive to last on an "on grade" slab subjected to the weather.

You will utimately get water, dirt and weed seeds between and under the brick, causing them to be unstable. You will not be able to get a perfect fit.

If you are thinking about thin brick, sand or dirt that gets under the brick and causes a high spot could cause the brittle brick to crack.

Water getting under the brick could accumulate and raise them if you have freezing temperatures.

Dick

Old 06-22-06, 05:56 PM
I may be doing something similar and I have thought about/researched it to some extent -

I agree that those adhesives are way oversold on the longevity.

In my case the entire front of the patio is a step so it would have mortared in bullnose bricks which of course would also act as a restraint for the field bricks. The rear side of the patio which is covered by a wooden bench could have a concrete curb (exactly what it sounds like) or the perimeter bricks could be mortared to the patio.

Issues are -

mortared bricks would be 1/2" higher. This could be accomodated by using sand for the field bricks and I believe they have a special sand for paver over patio applications.

What is condition of current patio, cracks flatness etc.

Of course you have to constrain 2 sides of your patio, lay field and then add last 2 side constrainst to avoid cutting bricks and assuming you have some leeway in where you last bricks end up.

Don't be afraid of small mortaring jobs. Get Dick Kreh's book and practice on a few test bricks and you'll be a advanced beginner in no time.

BTW, you'll want to use brick pavers which are much tougher and look better than common brick.

Check out pavingexpert.com - amazing site and they cover some of these issues.

In fact here is your exact application - http://www.pavingexpert.com/blokbase.htm