Restaurant kitchen concrete floor

Old 06-22-06, 09:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restaurant kitchen concrete floor

I am not sure if his is in the right forum but here is my dilema. I work in a restaurant that has had a concrete floor that has never been properly sealed in over twenty years. The floor has gone through alot and has had oil and grease on it every day. Recently the health inspector said that something had to be done and it had to be sealed or he would shut the restaurant down. Previously we have pressure washed the floors and put down a few coats of Behr Heavy Duty Garage Floor Paint. After a few days however the parts of the kitchen that gets wet alot (ie. around the dishwasher) begins to peel and after it starts to peel it spreads. I have called numerous tile guys and concrete guys who wont take the job and only say that it has to be acid washed. My only option is to acid wash the floor myself but where i am hung up is what kind of paint/sealer/epoxy to use after and how many coats. Basically other than the fact that i have to acid wash the floor i am lost. Any suggestions or tips or experience would be much appreciated because i dont want to lose the restaurant because i cant get the floor fixed.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 06-23-06, 02:52 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Acid washing won't do that much, but it may remove some of the surface grease and dirt. The paint on the floor will repel the acid, but the top of it will be clean(er). The oils will have penetrated down into the porous concrete by now, and oil is hard to remove. A degreaser would do a lot better than acid would. You'd probably have to apply it, scrub it in, thoroughly rinse it and suck it up with a wet vac. Do this several times.
Paint on concrete is almost never a good idea. It flakes and peels in a very short time. I would look for another option like sheet linoleum (because oils won't penetrate it and there aren't seams). Not vinyl tiles, because the oil will get between them. A more expensive option would be a professionally installed epoxy floor with epoxy going a few inches up the walls as well. This would be a lot easier to keep clean.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: