Small job: How to get a Asphalt Contractor to respond

Old 06-24-06, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need a repair of about 20 feet by 7 feet on my driveway, this spot is very deteriorated and underneath there must be water erosion that probably caused by pumping (the asphalt moving up and down on that washed area).

This is a small job for a contractor and most will not return my call. I think the area needs to be cut out and properly repaired and then rolled.

How best to approach a contractor to come and estimate? Or what type of contractor might be interested?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-06, 10:51 AM

Probaby the only things that get a contractor to respond is money and making it easier.

The asphalt business is seasonal and he will tie up equipment to do a small job correctly.

You have identified that the base under the pavement may be bad or sturated, which rules out "pot-hole" filling.

Knowing the soil under it is bad, it will have to be removed, replaced and covered with new asphalt to do a good job.

This means a Bobcat or loader, dump truck, a load of base material, a compactor, a load of asphalt and a roller to compact it. After that, clean-up and repair of lawn. With all that equipment and the time and manpower to move it and do a small job, he could spend his efforts on an easier job. If he just does a quick patch, he knows it will not last and may get complaints for no profit.

Talk to a contractor and see what you can do yourself to make such a small job more attractive.

Maybe getting out the old pavement and base and getting it ready for him to come in for a quick paving job. If you do the base, you would be responsible for the performance of the pavement.

The only other choice is to continue using cold patches and sealer.

Dick

Old 06-24-06, 01:44 PM
more on the driveway

OK, I know where the source to the washing under the driveway is coming from and I can remedy that.

If I cold patch it myself, can you go over the steps it would take for me to do it?

If I cut it out and put in a new base, how much gravel, add any cement? , and how much cold patch? I assume I roll it at the end.

Your thoughts please...

Old 06-26-06, 06:01 AM
getting an asphalt contractor

Its funny for me to find this post. I'm setting here waiting for an asphalt contractor to come and blacktop my driveway as I post this message.

I had the same problem with several contractors calling me back to give me a quote. I guess they don't need the small jobs. Just the big ones that make them money.

Originally Posted by dvarga
I need a repair of about 20 feet by 7 feet on my driveway, this spot is very deteriorated and underneath there must be water erosion that probably caused by pumping (the asphalt moving up and down on that washed area).

This is a small job for a contractor and most will not return my call. I think the area needs to be cut out and properly repaired and then rolled.

How best to approach a contractor to come and estimate? Or what type of contractor might be interested?