Defective Concrete?

Old 07-05-06, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Defective Concrete?

I bought All Star concrete mix (a product of Qwikrete) to use for shed footings. I used 3 bags and mixed water in per instructions and poured an 8" diameter footing. The mixture looked and poured differently than what I was used to from a redimix truck. The aggregate was very small, even the color looked different, it looked like wet sand. The next day I picked up a chunk of left over cement that appeared dry and could crush the whole chunk into sand with my fingers. The leftover truck redimix concrete I poured was so hard it clinked when hit with a shovel. Is this cement going harden more and be strong enough for me to drill into without crumbling? Would I be better off making the mixture myself with proper ingredients and if so what would a good mixture be? The only other info on the bag was what to use the mix for. No info on the psi, % mix of ingredients, etc. It was on sale at Menards for only $1.98 for 60#. Did I get what I paid for? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All you can do now is just wait. It sounds like a sand/cement mix that would usually have lower strength (possibly enough for your use). A sand and rock mix with the same cement content would be stronger. Concrete continues to gain strength indefinitely.

If you did not make a spelling mistake, you got Qwikrete (possibly a Menards brand or something made the Menards specs.) and not the national brand of Quikrete. I did a qick search and did not find the All Star line.

Dick