breaking/removing concrete around stairs

Old 07-05-06, 12:22 PM
dsw
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question breaking/removing concrete around stairs

I'm busting up a concrete patio to lay new pavers. I've been using a sledgehammer and whole bunch of sweat. A problem I'm about to encounter is that the wooden staircase from my back porch rests on the edge of the concrete. Two related questions:
1) Is there a way to leave the concrete under the stairs, bust around it cleanly and then add the pavers so that there is no real trace of the concrete?

2) If not, how do I remove the concrete under the stairs (where my sledgehammer can't be used)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use a skill saw with an abrasive blade (black, made for masonry) to score at least an inch or so around the area that you want to leave. As for the size of the "pad" you are leaving, it should be as large as possible. After scoring, continue to sledge and it will break along the score, leaving you a clean edge. You may have to bush the edge a bit below the score with a smaller hammer.

Old 07-06-06, 06:30 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pavers

When you leave the pad, will the top of the pavers be level with the pad? If so, then the pad will be visible.

If you want to remove the pad completely, remove the two or three bottom treads of the stairs and pound away. You will need to provide temporary support under the stairs a few feet back from the bottom tread.

You may want to consider a new pad deeper in the ground so you can cover with pavers.