mobile home

Old 07-05-06, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mobile home

I have a mobile which sits on railway ties on the ground every winter my home shifts causing stress cracks in my drywall.I need to level my home,and do not know how to do this. My mobile is
72x16 feet in length. I live in south western Ontario Canada &need some help.

lloyd

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 02:36 PM
b1bwwd39, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The problem is (probably) that the ties span too much ground area. Most mobiles are on piers that spread out the contact with the frame and walls. You will probably need to raise the home and install blocking. You MAY be able to find someone who does this for a living and will help you out or may need to hire a company to do it. Good luck.

Old 07-05-06, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are two main issues. One is that your ground the m/h is on is unstable. That there should have been lot's of base course under it. And somehwat elevated from the ground around it. The other thing is that if the snow blows around the trailer and blows the snow off the ground next to the trailer but only in areas, or you shoveled it away in areas due to the driveway, walkway, decks and porches,... you can get ununiform heaving to occur in the winter due to the fact that the ground swells more (especially if you have clay in the soil), rather than sand that goes down deep, where there is no snow cover. [I have been in the m/h- mhp business for about 21 years and *I* have fought with these issues.]

If your place is on swamp land, this can really be bad news. IF you have such an issue, it's an expensive fix, especially when the trailer is sitting there in the way. I have seen solid concrete columns poured deep in the ground, under the frame, to combat this. Then the cement blocks would go ontop of them.

The cheap way for uneven ground heave is to either make sure snow is uniformly up against the trailer all the way around, or to not have any...all the way around. Entry door areas are especially hit hard due to this (because decks under them block out the snow compared to the snow that is on each side of the deck) and can cause entry doors to not open/close right unless one shovels uniformly or banks the snow uniformly in those areas.

Old 07-06-06, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I agree that the foundation is likely inadequate. Who's idea was it to set the MH on wood instead of the conventional block/pier method? How old is the MH and when was it set up?

Old 07-07-06, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a chance that b1 was inadequate in the post. We too had mobile homes on railroad ties. The railroad ties were laid cross wise and the cement blocks were put on them. The reason the people did that was in hopes that the surface area of the railroad ties, being larger than any cement pads that are sold, would help keep the trailer from sinking into the swamp it sat on. But the ties bent some and sank anyway. If you are on a swamp, you are 's-o-l', no matter what. You might have to drill to bedrock and pour cement peers to the necessary depth.

BUT...if one were to put enough railroad ties under there, like you would building a train track, you might have as good a chance as you could get in helping hold the trailer up. The trailers we had had a railroad tie crosswise every 8 feet, about. The system worked because many trailers back then were less wide, and the tie would span between the two frames.