Yikes...she forgot to put the bolts in

Old 07-06-06, 09:10 AM
Yikes...she forgot to put the bolts in

My best friend was trying to put in her new lamp post on her own. She already had the old conduit taped up and poured a half way decent pad for the new lap post to sit on.

But she didn't realize that she needed to put the L-bolts that came with the kit into the cement (I noticed the directions hadn't been opened) before it cured. :P

I told her she may wind up busting it up and repouring it.

If she doesn't want to have to bust up the new concrete and repour, is there something I can help her do to place bolts into the concrete?

I know she can't use the L-bolts provided but is there a way to tap a hole into the concrete for us to screw bolts into?

I worked on my basement last year so I already have a hammer drill and bits if that is what is needed. But I don't know what to ask for when i take her to the hardware store.

Any help would be much apreciated.

jc14

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 09:58 AM
jciv, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Depending on how much stress the bolts will have on them and the size (diameter) you could probably drill and install lead anchors or go with Hilti anchors and some all-thread rod cut to length. Good luck.

Old 07-06-06, 10:50 AM
Expansion anchors should be fine, just get the largest practical ones.

Old 07-06-06, 12:07 PM
thanks folks.

also, do we need to use the hammer drill and bits or will something else do to make the holes? (i.e. can she pick up a bit on her own to use with her electric drill)

Old 07-06-06, 12:36 PM
Depending on the size holes you need for the anchors, I would think the hammer drill would be the way to go. If you do not have a bit big enough, you may be able to rent one since it probably won't be used often. Hammer drills seem to be the best way to go with masonary bits.