Garage Floor

Old 07-12-06, 07:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Floor

My garage floor is pretty severely caracked. At the side of the garage door, a triangular shaped area maybe 7 x 4 feet drops probably an inch or more.
And there are a few other large cracks. Anyway, is there a means for having some type of skim coat? I would have a pro do it. The footers are maybe 3 - 4 inches above the surface of the floor.

Thanks, Brian

Old 07-12-06, 05:15 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The fact that is has settled an inch tells me it isn't normal concrete cracking, but foundation related. If you just pour a skim coat, that will probably crack and settle too.

Address the foundation problem before you repair the slab.

Old 07-12-06, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Garage Floor

Since your foundation wall is above the slab, you probably have a floating slab that is independant from the foundation. Apparently poor soil compaction or other factors cause the soil to settle, causing cracks.

Mudjacking (slab raising, concrete raising, etc.) can level out the floor and provide stability. Look in the yellow pages under mudjacking, concrete raising or concrete contractors. There shoul be some in your area.

The process is proven and has been around for quite a while and is an economical and welcome alternate to replacement.

A skim coat would just crack again and be a waste of time and money.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: