Glazed diamond masonry blade fix???

Old 07-19-06, 02:45 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Glazed diamond masonry blade fix???

My 10" diamond blade on my wet saw that I use for cutting concrete pavers is glazed and not cutting. I tried cutting some asphalt with it and some mortar off of a brick, but neither trick worked to clear it. I've heard about flipping the blade so that it runs backwards to its current direction but don't know about that.

Anyone know how to get my blade cutting again?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-19-06, 04:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never, ever turn the blade around. For a blade that is designed to cut hard materials, use lightweight block to sharpen/de-glaze it. Asphalt is too soft and mortar is too hard/not abrasive enough.

The actual issue is the matrix surrounding the diamonds. When you are "sharpening" it, you are removing some of that matrix and thus exposing the diamonds. Usually, when a diamond blade "glazes" it is because you are cutting a material that it was not designed to cut. Most 10" blades are for cutting ceramic, not clay or concrete pavers.

Old 07-19-06, 08:35 PM
S
Thanks for the info. It is a concrete blade. I have other ceramic and porcelain blades. What exactly is a "lightweight block"?

Old 07-20-06, 03:26 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete pavers are 8600psi, as opposed to 3500ish for concrete, so your blade may not be glazed, it may be worn out. Lightweight concrete block are commonly called cinderblocks, though they are seldom made with cinders, not to be confused with heavyweight block which are made with...concrete. It has to do with how much they weigh per CuFt, and as it pertains to this discussion, what aggregate is used to achieve that weight.

Old 07-20-06, 12:38 PM
S
Oh... you mean lightweight concrete block. I thought you were referring to some type of sharpening stone. I have made hundreds of cuts with the blade in the last 1-1/2 years so it may just be shot. Although, it seems like the diamond segments are still there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: