New brick patio

Old 07-20-06, 02:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New brick patio

I need some advice. My wife and I have just completed a brick patio around our fire pit. This has been a huge project, and I would like to preserve the patio as best as I can.
To create the patio, we first laid down plastic sheeting. We then laid out bricks in the pattern we wanted. Then, we poured dry mortar mix into the cracks, and used a wide push broom to sweep it in. This took a lot of mortar (20 60lb bags) due to the shape and pattern of bricks. Then we sprayed the whole patio with the water hose. It is very hot here and somewhat windy, so we watered it several times, and it seems to have set up nicely.

Couple of questions: Can moratic acid be used to clean the excess mortar off the top?
What should I use as a sealant? I thought this would be an easy thing, but apparently there are many types of sealants and uses. From searching the forums I gather that I should probably use a sealant that penetrates the brick/mortar. Can someone reccomend a product? I thought I might try QUIKRETEŽ Acrylic Concrete Cure & Seal.
Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Old 07-20-06, 05:54 PM
T
Hmmm, where to start.

Let me get this straight:

You kind of leveled the ground, then laid plastic on top of the leveled dirt, then laid your brick on the plastic. To finish it, you took dry mortar mix, swept it into the joints and then wetted it down.

I don't suppose you want to rip it up and start over, do you?

Old 07-20-06, 06:05 PM
T
Assuming I had inherited this house, I would use a dilute muriatic acid to clean the face of the brick. Wet everything throughly before you begin. Sealing it would be a waste of money, as it will soon begin cracking.

Old 07-21-06, 07:26 AM
R
Smile

Obviously we are not professionals. Thanks for the reply TScarborough, I'll give the acid a shot. I'll probably have to manually clean some with a wire brush as well.
So you don't think applying a sealant will help at all?

Old 07-21-06, 08:57 AM
T
It will make it darker and shiny looking, but it will not really help prolong the life of the joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: