Brick my house!

Old 07-30-06, 01:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brick my house!

I recently bought a house and it has ugly siding on it. I plan to brick it, but i need to know the procedure of anchoring lintel(steel) to the block foundation to hold the brick. Any information would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 07-30-06, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Brick my house!

You are correct in realizing that you need to support the weight of the brick and not rely on the wall ties for vertical support. You will need wall ties to hold the brick up to the wall.

There are many different methods to support the brick depending on the location and the home. Some go down to the footing, while other are attached to the foundation wall. It also makes a difference whether the foundation wall is poured concrete, plain concrete block or reinforced concrete block.

Call a local engineer, have him look at it and make some sketches. If you need a permit, you can use them for the permit.

Dick

Old 07-30-06, 01:34 PM
M
I have a block foundation. If i were to bolt the steel to the block would i have to put the bolt right through the block? Or fill the block somehow.
Also, If i were to dig down to the footings and lay 4 inch blocks, what is the process of doing this? (do i use flashing, how do I tie the block to the foundation, and how do i stop it from leaking?

Old 07-30-06, 02:14 PM
Brick my house!

I can only give you some general answers since I cannot see the house in perso. You should get local help for plans and details.

You can bolt, but you would have to bolt through. Size and spacing depend on the structure (wall height).

You can fill selected cores and build a ledge to set the brick on. There are several methods.

You can lay the brick on the footing. - Only reasonable with shallow footings.

You should use flashing just above grade to divert any moisture in the cavity to the outside through weep holes. You should also have vents near the top of the wall.

This can be a big job so you should have a local engineer give you help getting started and answering any questions/details that may come up during construction.

Dick

Old 08-02-06, 03:41 PM
i was planning on doing the same thing, only after several attempts to contact 3 masons which i only recieved 1 responce and he was somewhere around the 20-25 grand mark. this included doing the foundation extension and bricking which would have taken 20-22 thousand bricks. So i opted to do a DIY cement fiber siding instead, i replaced all my windows , reinsulated the walls and replaced siding along with painting and have spent less than 7 grand, not to mention this included any tools i needed. so i saved 18 grand doing this myself, plus i can paint it or have it painted every 15 years and still save money.

Old 08-02-06, 06:48 PM
T
Look for a product called "Nova-brik". It is easy to do and will hang on the studs, and it looks like brick (although it isn't much cheaper, if any).

Old 08-02-06, 07:17 PM
Brick my house!

Thanks to Tscarborough for rattling my brain -

Nova Brick is much more of a DIY product than traditional brick veneer. It is a concrete siding material (brick size, but about 2" thick is various permanent colors) that hangs just like the cheap vinyl. No mortar is used and it makes your home stronger in resistance to wind, projectile penetration (hurricane/tornado term) and to racking. No mortar is used and it will fool many masons from 30 feet.

I know of a 70 year old couple that veneered their entire home.

You wrap the house and loosely nail a percentage of the nail the interlocking Nova Brick to the studs or vertical 1x3s. You use a plastic starter strip for finish and guidance. After that, power screw driver and level. The brick hangs from the house and is approved a a siding material by most codes. It is not considered a masonry product by the building codes.

You do not need the same support as you do for actual veneer, since the studs can easily carry the load for a 2 or 3 story wall.

It has been used in Canada for at least 10 years that I know of.

I appologize for answering your direct question and not thinking of something that may be more appropriate. I have seem Nova Brick in my local HD. I also had it insatlled as a veneer on several wrinkled tin industrial buildings as part of a corporate good neighbor policy. Also had it installed on a two story student housing complex of about 60 two story 4 bedrom units because they needed the durability from the keggers.

Dick

Dick

Old 08-07-06, 07:09 AM
M
I am a bricklayer. Just looking for more information on bolting lintel to foundation.
thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: