Stone Foundation: How to "seal" it.

Old 07-30-06, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stone Foundation: How to "seal" it.

Our house was built in 1848 and has mostly a stone foundation. We bought the house about 6 years ago and there are spots where a couple of the stones have fallen out and recently we have experienced a lot of rain which resulted in a little (nothing major but noticeable) stream running in the basement. It was definately coming from the one of the stone walls. The mortar or whatever it was that they used in the 1800's seems to be just falling out from the crevices now. How and what would I use to fix this. The foundation is still really solid but I would like to replace the stones that have fallen out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I was half tempted to just set up some forms and pour quickcrete beside the foundation and inside the basement, but there has to be another way. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stone has pours. in the 1800's they used the best they had which was stone, but they also expected their roof to leak. quickcrete wont solve your problems. i'm not exactly sure of the product, but i have heard of a refinishing job on the interior and a sealer on the outside to prevent water from even entering the pores of the rock. check into that