Pea gravel for driveway

Old 08-08-06, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pea gravel for driveway

Hello,

We have a 150 foot driveway. It has a small slope in the center. It has a well-compacted base of crusher run. I would like to place a 2" layer of decorative gravel instead of expensive asphalt or concrete. My wife found a pea gravel that she likes.
A fellow at the stone center told me that pea gravel does not work well because it does not bind together as angular gravel does. That makes sense. However, he said as long as I have a strong edging (which I do), all I'll have to do is rake it occassionally.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 03:21 PM
I put a couple of inches of decorative gravel on a customer's driveway at his request. I hated it. Any time you drive in it, you leave tire marks and it feels really wierd. I actually thought my truck was going to get stuck in it backing out of it up a very slight slope. Although it looks nicer than stone, I would recommend against it.

Pecos

Old 08-08-06, 03:41 PM
Pea gravel for driveway

Two inches of pea rock is not very stable and can open you up to problems with falls.

Dick

Old 08-08-06, 03:46 PM
Might be alright if you do not mind spending the rest of your life raking the stone from the edging. Everytime anyone drives on it, you will have ruts. Good luck.