No weep holes in retaining walls

Old 08-14-06, 09:05 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have two cinder block retaining walls that we are getting ready to wire and resurface. The walls have no weep holes and I can't find any instructions on how to install them into a completed wall. We know there are areas where water is building up behind them. We have installed drain basins along the length behind them and are diverting as much of the water away from them as possible. My thought is to drill small holes at the base of the wall at the concrete level and insert a pvc pipe for the weep hole, but not sure that is correct? I am concerned that they will just get clogged with the dirt from behind the wall? The walls are 20' L x 7' H and 40' L x 11' H, so digging behind them is not a easy solution.

Any advice would be appreciated !!!

Old 08-14-06, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You can try drilling holes. Because of the height, the walls could
should be partially reinforced with some cores filled or it could be fully reinforced and grouted solid. Drilling will be a challenge.

The anount of water you drain out will depend on they of backfill. If it just common dirt or backfill, you will get very little out and the drains could get clogged.

If they were built properly, you should have rock and well draing backfill immediately behind the wall and the drains that get in, should help.

If you get one good hole try others in 16" increments on either side of each other.

Any water you get out from behind the wall will lengthen the life and resduce the cracks.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: