Repair of old addition

Old 08-15-06, 09:37 AM
Edge
Visiting Guest
Repair of old addition

I have a 1929 home with an old addition on the back side. When the addition was built, the only foundation was two concrete block walls. The walls are on either side of the addition, supporting each end of the floor joist headers.

The walls have no foundation, and were only sunk into the ground about one block. Total wall height is about 3' from the ground.

I've attached a diagram of the addition. The total addition size is about 5' x 11'.

The problem I have is the addition slopes very badly. Probably at least 2 inches over the 5' span. The addition currently houses a large closet and half bath.. it's not very finished though. I would like to gut the inside, and turn it into a pantry on one side and powder room on the other.

Is there an easy / economical way to save the addition? Or should I think about tearing it down and rebuilding? What's the best course of action from here? Is there an easy way to support the addition while building a new, proper footings and foundation?

I guess Images don't work here .. here's the URL forthe diagram:

http://jax.0x7a69.org/temp/addition.jpg

Old 08-16-06, 03:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retro fitting a foundation to an existing stay in place structure is always a tad more difficult than conventional construction. Your job however appears very dooable given some jacks, iron or wood beams and perhaps some cribbing to temporarily support the structure.

A beam could be slipped beneath and perpindicular to existing joists on outward end. The beam should be long enough and strong enough to extend beyond existing walls so jack points can remain and allow for removal of existing block structure. A new footing can than be poured and new block walls laid up. Top course of blocks is laid as either existing plate is removed or perhaps existing sructure can be jacked a bit higher to allow for placement of top block.

This type of thing is done all the time by experienced block layers with strong backs that are able to duck their heads as they hunch over under buildings.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: