Filling Cracks in Driveway - Quick Concrete?

Old 08-19-06, 10:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Filling Cracks in Driveway - Quick Concrete?

I got this idea from some grout that accidently spilled in my driveway (small amount) and is now there forever. Could I patch some of the cracks in my driveway with quick concrete and then seal it when I seal the driveway?

Only downside I see if the different expansion rates of the material. However, my driveway has many cracks, and I am just trying to limp along for 4 or 5 more years, then I will redo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this solution? I would be much cheaper than the small bottles of filler at $10 each.

All responses are appreciated!

Old 08-19-06, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

What is "quick concrete"?

You cannot patch cracks in concrete with more concrete or normal grout. It will crack because of the physical conditions the slab is exposed to. All of the future forces causing the movement (and cracks) will be concentrated on the repaired crack, so the cracks will reappear.

It has nothing to do with the different expansion rates of the materials since they are about the same and the shrinkage of anything you apply will be greater than the existing concrete.

If you are talking about some "new" super goop in a squrt bottle or tube, just try to get a guarantee or even a promise from the manufacturer. - Don't count on the performance.

Dick

Old 08-20-06, 07:25 AM
S
Concrete Response

Thank you for the information! My driveway is tar , etc. Concrete would be used to fill in cracks in the tar before sealing, sorry, actual product is Quickrete.

Old 08-20-06, 07:43 AM
T
That will certainly not work. They do have different thermal co-efficients of expansion. Use cold patch asphalt patch to fill the cracks before seal-coating it.

Old 08-27-06, 06:20 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There is asphalt caulk available that can be used to fill smaller cracks in asphalt driveway. Larger cracks 1/2" or larger may require some sand to be placed in bottom. All cracks will need to be cleaned out first and washed out with high pressure hose and allowed to dry out overnight before troweling in caulk. Sealing driveway afterwards is recommended.

Old 08-27-06, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

If you use sand to partially fill the large cracks, you should do whatever is possible to force the filler into the sand and the joint before applying a sealer to extend the life of the driveway. A pretty troweling is not adequate.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: