Driveway novice

Old 08-19-06, 10:56 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Driveway novice

Hi,
I know there are probably previous threads about this- but I need someone to help me understand the construction of a driveway (like asphalt vs concrete vs sealcoat and tar???)
I have an older driveway that grass is growing up b/t the cracks. I am in Boston where it gets really cold in Winter.
It's fairly flat except for a couple "pothole" looking spots.
The color is dark gray/black but speckled if that helps...So it doesn't look like that nice black creamy finish...or like the stuff they use when they repair the roads (kind of a granular black substance)
What do I do to repair the cracks (i presume I should use Roundup 1st and pull out the weeds) and should it then be sealed- and if so- with what?
thanks,
deb

Old 08-27-06, 06:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If driveway is asphalt, you will have to clean out all cracks, digging deep to remove weeds and debris. High pressure wash out the cracks and allow to dry out overnight. Fill cracks up to two inches with asphalt caulk that is troweled in. Cracks 1/2" or llarger usually require placing some sand in the bottom of crack. Larger areas where asphalt is broken up require removing the pieces and filling in area with asphalt, which can be purchased in bags. These areas will require tamping in. Tampers are usually available at a rental store. Once repairs are made, the asphalt driveway will need to be sealed.

Old 08-28-06, 02:55 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you!
deb
I think the cracks may need the sand 1st as you mentioned since some are about an inch wide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: