Patio Slab Expansion

Old 08-20-06, 05:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Patio Slab Expansion

I have a existing patio 12 x 20. I want to make it 14 x 22 & 5" higher to add a Room addition. Can I did and pour a footing around the outside edge and then pour the additional 5" of concrete over the existing patio. I live in the north east and am concerned with frost. Or do I have to have the existing patio torn out first

Old 08-20-06, 05:47 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One of the answers I am sure you will receive here is Check Local Codes. They vary so much from area to area that it would be impossible to tell you exactly. Don't think that codes are strictly a money thing. They are a safety feature and since you are building an addition on top of your slab, I am sure you don't want problems later. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-20-06, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Patio Slab Expansion

If you are going to build an addition in the future, you are going to build a foundation for the addition and not a "patio". There are different requirements, so plan ahead. A patio slab does not have to be below frost, but a house addition has to recognize the frost conditions.

For best results, you use the same type of foundation for the addition as for the original structure. Not absolutely necessary, but much better.

Dick

Old 08-21-06, 10:10 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no pics, so I am thinking you have a patio that has 1 side attached to the house. And you would be pouring footings on the other 3 sides.

Since you have to pour footings anyway, it will be signifigantly cheaper to pour the footings then use cinderblock to build up your foundation and just skip the patio pour. You will also need piers built in the middle of your patio to support the joists.

Forgot to add that those piers should be sitting in their own footings. So jackammer out the existing patio, dig and pour footings then build your piers.

Last edited by crokett; 08-21-06 at 08:11 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: