Red dye in concrete?

Old 08-21-06, 08:21 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Red dye in concrete?

My bungalow basement floor was tiled by the previous owners (I'm guessing some time in the late 50' or 60's). At some time, they also had flooding problems. Today, there are no flooding problems and the tile has all been removed. However, their remains a red dust that I cannot clean. If exposed to water, it creates a river of blood-like water that stains everything it contacts (a permanent stain, as well as I can determine). It can't be swept clean, it can't be mopped. I've tried painting over the floor, but the red product bled through and still stains everything in contact. I even tried priming the floor with Kilz first, and the red bled through that too. I've tried washing the floors with wet vacs, but there seems to be an endless supply of red. There is still dried mastic on part of the floor and I'm sure the red dust has something to do with the old tile because the areas of the basment that were never tiled are not a problem.

Please help! I'm at my wit's end as my basement is essentially unusable.

Does anyone have any ideas about 1) what the red is (none of the tile was red) and 2) how it can be removed?

Thanks.

Old 08-21-06, 09:08 AM
T
Did you try a floor sander? I don't know what the red is but maybe you could sand it off.

Old 08-21-06, 09:15 AM
C
If the concrete was dusted with cement as it was poured (this cures it faster) it will always be dusty. Never heard of it being red though. Maybe it is the dust reacting with the mastic. If you can't remove the dust, why not add sleepers and put a new floor in a few inches above the concrete?

Old 08-21-06, 11:44 AM
P
Blood red? This home isn't in Amityville, NY by chance?

Old 08-21-06, 05:32 PM
T
Sounds like a good reason to tile it, eh?

Old 08-22-06, 07:52 AM
A
Originally Posted by Pecos
Blood red? This home isn't in Amityville, NY by chance?
That has been the joke around my house. I just refer to it as the Amityville Basement.

Old 08-22-06, 07:54 AM
A
Originally Posted by tommyboy92300
Did you try a floor sander? I don't know what the red is but maybe you could sand it off.

We did, actually. We tried sanding and even grinding it. It just puts more of the dust in the air.

And tiling was a bigger project that I was trying to avoid. The floor is not flat or even, so it would take a lot of prep -- all for a room I don't use that often, but would like to use it some time without contaminating the rest of the house.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: