Cement Pad for Hot Tub

Old 08-24-06, 10:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cement Pad for Hot Tub

I am planning on putting down a 8' X 8' pad to set a hot tub on. The tub itself is also 8' X 8'. The weight of the tub with water and people in it comes to about 4500 pounds. I was planning on laying a 4" thick pad of cement on the ground. The ground is fairly soft with a sand and clay mixture so I was wondering if there would be a problem with settling or cracking. Would I need to put in footings and if so would this help with the settling issue and what size and depth of footing?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-06, 12:21 PM
J
Generally a cement slab is not a good idea under a hot tub. It's much better to install a bed of gravel 6"-8" thick and level and compact it. This allows any condensation under the hot tub to drain away and prevents mildew buildup.

The fact is that your hot tub is 64 sq.ft. in area and the weight will be fairly evenly distributed. That means that the pressure exerted on the ground will be 4500/64 = 70 lbs/sq.ft. Typically, even the poorest soil will support 1000 lbs/sq.ft. so there's almost no chance that the hot tub will settle.

-Joe

Old 08-24-06, 09:06 PM
T
Cool information

Wow, that kind of information does not grow on trees, at least not where I look. Thank you Joe for sharing!

I am responding because when we moved into our house 2 years ago it had a concrete pad, 7' x 7' I think, and it was for a hot tub. Whole area surrounded by gravel.

Turns out the hot tub leaked (funny story from the realtor) so they got rid of it before selling but left the pad and electrical.

Now the pad is a foundation for my shed and the electrical is for our AC unit.

Old 08-28-06, 11:04 AM
B
Thanks Joe, I appreciate your feedback. The gravel you're talking about, is it like the gravel you use for brick pavers?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: