Ties necessary for Brick Veneer?

Old 08-25-06, 08:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I will finish my project this weekend - add the brick veneer to the block wall. The wall is 24" tall. One side will have the veneer added and I will cap it with brick. I planned put the cap on so it spans the veneer and the block. Someone suggested I probably wanted to add ties at the mortar joints to tie the veneer to the block. For this size wall, is this necessary? I can go back and add tapcons and ties. What should spacing be on the ties?

Old 08-25-06, 08:36 AM
T
24" horizontal, and 18" vertical. In your case, I would just split the difference (12" vertically).

Old 08-25-06, 08:46 AM
C
Thanks. I am a good general carpenter, can do some electrical and plumbing, but other than pouring concrete brick and block is new to me. This wall is something most folks won't see and is a warmup for my driveway pillars later this year.

Any good references you suggest online for some reading?

Old 08-25-06, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Don't set the cap dead-level. Pitch the brick cap a little one way or another to shed water. - If possible, oversize it a little so water does not run down the face. This will limit accumulation of water and possible leakage into the joints.

Just for aesthetics and pride even if no one else sees it.

Dick

Old 08-25-06, 05:47 PM
C
Dick,

Excellent point. I'd planned to do this on the treads for the steps but somehow it didn't transfer to the cap. Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: