Asphalt Driveway repair

Old 08-25-06, 08:52 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asphalt Driveway repair

I have a rather large driveway that, when broken up into three sections:

1. A 1/3 has your typical cracks. Nothing that cannot be easily filled and sealed.

2. Another 1/3 is broken up in 3-4 large areas. Large chucks can easily be picked up from those areas.

3. Another 1/3 is not in all that bad of shape. The previous owner did a poor job cold patching a small section and the rest just has dips in it.

Ok, so section #1 is no big deal. I have no questions with it. Sectionss #2 and #3 are where I'd like some advice. First of all I am not bothering with replacing the whole driveway by a contractor this year. There is no doubt of that. However, I would like to see what I can do about it myself this late summer/fall.

For section #2:

Would it be possible to clean out all of the loose asphalt, dirt...whatever, put down some cold patch, and then use a thick sealer to try and keep this section usable and decent looking for a couple years?

My concern is that either I will have to use so much cold patch in the 3-4 trouble areas that a cold patch wont be enough. Plus there is the question of whether or not the driveway would look acceptable afterwards (doesn't have to be perfect, just not too noticable).

For this section I guess you could say that I sort of have to resurface it and am hoping I can do that with cold patch and a store bought thick sealer. Is that possible?

For section #3:

I will have to dig out the crappy cold patch job that was done and replace it. That shouldn't be too much of a problem after working on secontion #2. But what about the dips in this section? Do I just clean out the dip and put a cold patch down? Or do I need dig out the asphalt a little so the cold patch has something to attach too?

All sections:

I was kind of hoping to do the three sections on different days (I did say it was a big driveway). If I did section #1 (fill cracks), then #2, and then #3 would the areas where the sections come together be able to join together without a problem? Would simply putting a final coat of sealer over the whole driveway all together fix that?

Again, I have no plans on having professionals come out and replace the driveway this year. All I am looking for is a way to not only slightly extend the life of the driveway but also make it far more presentable than it is.

Last edited by Eves; 08-25-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-27-06, 06:00 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I once lived in an old house with a large driveway that had similar issues. I used asphalt caulk on cracks that could be caulked. I cleaned out broken sections and used bags of asphalt patch, tamping in with rented tamper. Then, I sealed with a couple coats of asphalt sealer and sealed annually after that. The driveway, though not perfect, looked fresh and presentable and presented no problem at time of resale.

Old 08-27-06, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Asphalt Driveway repair

Caulks and sealers are a good temporary way of extending the useable life of an asphalt driveway. They help to prevent water from getting under the surface portion of the pavement structure.

They do nothing to improve the dried-out petroleum products in the pavement that are holding everything together.

Patch waht you can. Coat the entire surface with a "big box" (or superior) sealer. Eventually, the repairs will become more frequent, to the point when a quick ,one day remove and replace is the the most economical choice. You probably have a stable base in the major portion of the driveway.

Dick

Old 08-28-06, 09:04 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a specific kind of sealer? Or perhaps recommend what to look for in a sealer for my needs?

I mean I think I would want the thickest crack filling sealer I can find for after I do all the patching. Home Depot and Ace Hardware's selection of sealers do not seem to indicate they are any thicker than others. At best they say they last longer. I seem to recall Menards may have had a larger select where some may have said they filled cracks better than others but their website isn't all that friendly (just flyers). So if I knew what to look for in a sealer I could better shop when I do go to Menards (I don't mean to push them, it just happens to be my favorite store).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: