Driveway pillars?

Old 08-25-06, 03:49 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Driveway pillars?

I would like to build drivepillars out of cinderblock and then stucco the surface(lamp on front).I can't find anything on the web (or books)for instructions on how to do this.Any suggestions?

Thanks, John

Old 08-25-06, 07:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have limited experience as a bricklayer but can help with the footings. They need to be dug to below the frost line for your area. They should be sized 6" wider on all sides than the finished width of your pillars. They need to be level. build a 2x4 frame to the size of your footing. level it by screwing to stakes at the corners. Pour your concrete to the top of the frame and screed it level.

If you are adding lamps, you need power. The wiring should be run through plastic conduit, not metal. Metal will react with the concrete. This would look best coming underground and up through the footing inside the concrete block. The conduit needs to be in place before you pour. If you are using 110V lights and not low voltage or solar, I suggest adding outlets at the base of your pillar. I plan to build driveway pillars in a few months and this is what I will do. Useful for Christmas lights, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: