Water Seepage Through Garage Floor

Old 09-02-06, 06:23 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

In my concrete floored garage Water often accumulates. If it is coming up from underneath is there a way to "paint" it and help prevent moisture from coming in? I know for walls I could use Drylok paint but what do they have available for floors?

Waterproofers have come in & recommended french drains (fairly expensive proposition) If there is a cheaper way - i.e some form of paint/selaant I would prefer to try it.

Thanks

Old 09-03-06, 02:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't give us too many details to work with but I am going to take a stab at this anyway. Is the floor badly cracked? Does the garage floor happen to be a floating slab or does it contain a seperate footing and some block courses? Is the garage attached to a house? If so is the house crawlspace or basement dry? Is the problem constant?

For now, I shall assume the floor is too low and the water source is from run off. If that is the case than the answer to your question is no. Paint or sealer would be a waste of money.

bs5

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-03-06 at 07:12 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 09-06-06, 07:30 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The garage is attached to the house slightly lower than the basement (around 2-3 feet). The front & back of the garage is mostly below ground (front lawn & backyard). The garage is entered from the side. The basement attached to the garage on the other side is totally dry. I believe the floor of the garage would be considered a concrete slab. It is not badly cracked or damaged (not sure I know what you mean by floating slab versus seperate footing). The problem is not constant & definately gets worse with constant rain (which we've had alot of recently in the northeast), In one corner of the garage there is usually a puddle which gets worse with heavier rains. The concrete slab will normally be dry unless there has been heavy rains in which case it is wet - no accumulations but definately wet. The floor /wall joint areas are somewhat cracked. Hope the additional info helps.

Would painting the walls with Drylok likely offer any help? Or is the water most likely to get in from under the concrete slab anyway?

The waterproofers who came by felt the issue was related to the water table & ground water/runoff.

House itself is about 50yrs old

Old 09-06-06, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

It sounds like the waterproofers that looked at your house may be correct.

If the slab is low and the surrounding areas are higher, water could accumulate and come up through the cracks. Your drainage must be addressed to carry the water away.

DryLok is only a paint-like coating appied to a surface. It does not address the cracks. Your cracks may be very difficult to seal since any load or movement of the slab could easily open them and crack any minimal paint coating.

Look at you drainage, run-off and gutter downspouts and extensions.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: