Concrete steps will contact wood

Old 09-05-06, 09:04 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have to build steps against a building. All books tell about an easy situation, when you want to attach such steps to a concrete wall. But what to do if I have both concrete and wood surface. The steps rise above the line separating concrete (basement wall) from wood (first story floor/basement ceiling zone). The wood is behind plastic sidings. Here I see two issues, maybe I'll see more later. 1) It looks I must remove sidings to open the wood. Then, what should I place between the wood and the steps? 2) First I was going to insert few rebars into the concrete wall for additional support and stability, but I have the wood in that spot instead. Can I still proceed, or I should give up the rebar idea?
Also, I have a small basement window which has more liabilities than assets, therefore I intend to block it with concrete bricks. Besides the steps will be built against that window. The problem is that the upper edge of its frame is made of plastic, which obscures wood. Is it OK to use mortar there?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alex.

Old 09-05-06, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Put someting like tar paper between the steps you are building. You can have wood behind the concrete, but not in contact with it unless it is treated.

Do not attach the steps to your basement wall. You probably are building them on compacted soil (I hope), but yo dont want them to be a part of your house at this time. you can go over the window you are removing and are blocking up.

Make sure that the slope of you landing at the top of the steps slopes well away away from the house. The out portions of steps have a habit of settling ot heaving and you don't want the water to drain back toward the house.

Dick

Old 09-19-06, 06:36 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dick,

Thank you for your help. Now I got a building permit and can go on with the project. However I would like to ask you to specify few things, if you do not mind. Unfortunately I could not find such information in details.
I am building the stairs on two concrete footings (left and right side). Between the footings I put gravel of ~4'' thick as bedding for the steps. You said that I do not want to have them as part of my house and I should not attach then to the concrete wall.

Books recommend to put there isolation board, even between two concrete objects, but do not specify the material or the purpose of it. No workers in Lowe's or HD had an idea about such isolation board. I am going to put tar paper between the upper concrete steps and material behind sidings (I guess it could be untreated wood), as you suggested. Though I do not know what to put between the wall and the lower part of the steps. I understand that first I cut out sidings, and then glue the tar paper to the wood, after I can pour concrete between the forms. So, should I have isolation board installed? And I think to attach a drip-edge flashing to the cutout area. Please correct where I was wrong.

Thanks a lot.

Alex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: