New driveway, sealing questions

Old 09-07-06, 01:32 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I got a brand spankin new driveway and garage pad poured yesterday. I live in Chicago, so I'm really worried about salt and other de-icers dripping off my cars and ruining my beautiful new driveway.

I was looking at two products:
Concrete Remedy DS
and
Concrete Sealer X-2

Has anyone used any of these products before? They both appear to be silicate sealers that penetrate 2 to 4 inches below the surface to keep water out.

Are these shams? If not, when is the soonest I can apply them?

Old 09-07-06, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I really doubt the honestly of anyone that insults you by saying a product can penetrate 2 to 4 inches into the concrete.

All you are really getting is a coating that may help.

The most important thing to do is use air entrained concrete in the first place.

Dick

Old 09-07-06, 02:57 PM
A
So is there any sealant that will help protect my driveway from salt picked up on the road? Or would I be just as well off leaving the concrete as is?

Old 09-07-06, 03:53 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are many different concrete sealers available and when to apply to new concrete tends to vary among the different products available. Concrete is porous and it is recommended that it be sealed to protect from penetrating moisture and stains.

Old 09-07-06, 05:47 PM
T
What Mr. Dick said, along with properly sloped concrete and an 800 spec sealer.

Old 09-08-06, 10:38 AM
A
Ok, you're talking to complete concrete newbie. All the driveways in every other house I lived in were asphalt.

What is an 800 spec sealer?

What are some recommended sealers? (I realize that there will be some differences of opinion like "Which is better on pizza, sausage or pepperoni?" but if I get either of those, I'd be much happier than if I had gotten anchovies.) What are the top sealers that I should be looking for?

And thank you for taking the time to educate me.

Old 09-08-06, 07:01 PM
T
Just make sure the sealer is a high solids, exterior grade sealer. Home Depot will not carry it. Remember that any time that you put something like this down you are creating a maintainance item.

If you do not want to have to reseal the driveway every couple of years, go with a 309 spec sealer (sodium silicate type) to cure the concrete out and do not follow up with anything else.

Old 08-21-07, 09:49 AM
S
Penetrating siloxane sealers

Concrete should be sealed with a penetrating siloxane sealer. This will penetrate below the surface and fill the microscopic pores in the concrete. The surface will not have a sheen to it. In fact, it will be hard to see any difference between sealed and unsealed concrete.

Check out what nationally syndicated columnist Tim Carter says about concrete sealers.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B161_Concrete_Scaling_and_Deicing_Salts.shtml

a video http://www.askthebuilder.com/Concrete_Driveway_Sealer_Video.shtml

And our product, A-Tech Concrete Sealer, a siloxane concrete sealer

http://appliedtechnologies.com/pages/content/concrete_sealer.html

Old 08-21-07, 08:38 PM
P
I agree. Use a silicate type penetrating sealer instead of a film forming sealer. Film forming acrylic sealers are no more than clear "paint" and are a continuing maintenance issue. A penetrating silicate/silane/siloxane is a one time deal, because it is not a coating. It seals from the inside out.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: