Fast Drying Concrete

Old 09-22-06, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Drying Concrete

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a quick drying concrete that might be cheaper than quickrete. Maybe something in bulk. Thank you, Kieron

Old 09-22-06, 02:20 PM
M
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Quick Drying concrete

Kieron:

You can buy sand and rock from a quarry and portland cement from a Menards. Then mix your own. To a point, the more portland you add the quicker it dries and the higher strength.

For the ratios, call a Redi-Mix plant. They can tell you what they use for 3500 and 4000 lb concrete mixes.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 09-22-06, 03:02 PM
T
You would use Type III, High Early portland cement for faster setting Concrete. It will be more expensive, and may not be available at all. Your other choice would be a product called "Maximizer", which is a lightweight bagged product that is also somewhat rapid setting.

As a rule, a dryer mix will decrease set time too.

Old 09-22-06, 04:12 PM
Fast Drying Concrete

Thanks for the suggestions. Also, can you put new concrete right over the old?

Old 09-22-06, 04:14 PM
T
Need more info.

Old 09-22-06, 04:23 PM
Fast Drying Concrete

I guess I am trying to find a quick fix for a cement patio that is in real bad shape. I was thinking I could use something like quickrete, and walk maker, and put it right on top of the old cement. Is this crazy?

Old 09-22-06, 04:32 PM
T
Pretty much.

First, the overlay will have to be a bare minimum of 3" deep for "regular" concrete, Type III or not.

Second, any movement issues on the patio, i.e. cracks, will simply mirror through the new overlay unless the underlying issues are addressed first.

Lastly, if it is in really bad shape, it is probably cheaper to break it out and start over, maybe with concrete pavers.

edit, that said, still need more information. Is the patio just ugly, or is it cracked and out of level? What is the primary issue with the existing patio, and your ultimate goal in repairing it?

Old 09-22-06, 04:54 PM
Fast Drying Concrete

The patio is ugly, but is also cracked, not level anymore, and in really bad shape. I will be selling the house soon and starting to run low on resources. Thought I could get away without the jackhammers, etc., but maybe not. I just want it to look better for minimal out put.

Old 09-22-06, 04:59 PM
T
Any type of half-a**ed patch job you put on it will look worse in the long term and will be caught by a decent inspector.

I would buy a crap load of potted flowers and place them around the patio along with some lawn furniture and make what is there appealing when I show the home.

Old 09-22-06, 05:05 PM
Fast Drying Concrete

I was afraid you would say that, but I do see your point, and thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: