Chimney Repair possible for 1st timer?

Old 09-22-06, 08:53 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chimney Repair possible for 1st timer?

I have a rather large brick chimney about 4ft wide by 2ft thick and it is crumbling apart from the top down (about 6 bricks or down or so with the top plate spilt in a few places). I've meaning to get it repaired by someone but due to insufficent funds I've haven't been able to. I'm wondering if this is a task and average DIY'er should tackle or not? I have done some cement work in the past but I haven't done any work with bricks and mortar so I don't really know where to start. It appears to have 3 iron stacks coming out of it one for the fireplace, one for the furnace and one for ?
Now that it is fall can I just try and patch it up with some sort of compound so it will last the winter?

Any advice appreciated.

Old 09-23-06, 03:41 AM
B
First thing is safety. When you talk chimney repairs, you are talking about working high in the air. Can you obtain safe scaffolding and secure it? You are going to have to have help for this.

The failure of your chimney could be due to a bad or deteriorated cap. Caps that crack and deteroriate over the years allow moisture and frost down into the top layers of bricks. Over time, frost and weather take it's toll.

For this task, you will likely need to demo the top section of the chimney down to a solid base. The bricks showing damage will need to be removed and new ones of course replace old. Do you have the basic skills and knowlege to properly and neatly lay these bricks and can you find a matching replacement? If the answer to these questions is yes than of course you can.

Good luck with the task.

bs5

Old 09-23-06, 09:41 AM
M
I think you're bang on with your assessment of my situation.
Looks like I have a few questions I need to answer for myself.

Thanks for the feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: