Bricks over concrete steps?

Old 09-23-06, 07:43 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bricks over concrete steps?

I already have concrete steps leading to my front door and I'd like to somehow turn them into brick steps.
Can this be done with brick pavers and if so how?

Old 09-23-06, 07:45 PM
T
This topic has been covered in depth. Above, see the search function, then select advanced, and search this forum with the terms, "brick", "step", "concrete".

Old 09-23-06, 08:41 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drdsn6, welcome to the DIY forums

Here's one previous threads Tscarborough may be talking about (you will have to copy and paste):

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=277397&highlight=brick+step+concrete

As Tscarborough mentioned, there are other previous threads you can search on for more information. Don't hesitate to post if you have more questions.

Also, here's an article you may want to read if it would help you any.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/bricksteps

Old 09-23-06, 08:44 PM
T
Sorry, this just seems to be the most commonly asked question on the board.

Old 09-24-06, 08:33 AM
D
Bricks over concrete steps.....

I appreciate your reply, but no where on this site is my exact question answered.
Maybe I was not specific enough. There is a lot of information on pouring concrete and adding brick pavers on top. Or adding bricks to an existing concrete walkway. However I am not pouring concrete. It is already there and I'd just like to add brick to it. So these are my specific questions:

1.) If I put brick with mortor up the sides of the steps it will extend past the top of the concrete steps and I worry it will be unstable if someone steps on it.

2.) Without having pre-poured concrete, how do I fit the bricks for the steps and rise of the step since there is not a lot of space there.

3.) With a poured concrete job you can secure the bricks while the concrete is still wet, but for this job would I just lay down mortor for the base and between the bricks, or would I need to lay down fresh concrete for the base?

Any thoughts?

Old 09-24-06, 09:17 AM
Bricks over concrete steps?

A picture would be a big help.!!!

I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to do.

Are you talking about real brick" (2-4" thickness) or thin brick pavers (1/2- 1" thicknesss)?

Are you trying to cover the complete concrete step assembly including sides, risers, treads and landing?

IF you are talking about changing any elevations, you will have to be concerned with the elevations of the adjacent fixed items such as the sidewalk and door tread.

When you get done you must have uniform tread depths and the risers must be uniform including the riser from the sidwalk to the top of the first tread going up. If you have a large landing you have some latitude in the step from the landing to the door tread.

After you have determined you can fit in the new materials, the installation will depend on what materials (brick?, pavers?) you are using and where you are putting it. - Many people find it easier to get a good job by tearing out down to grade and reconstructing the exposed portion from scratch.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: