muddy road

Old 10-01-06, 11:09 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muddy road

Hello,

I have a dirt road that gets very muddy when it gets wet. It is about 400 feet long and we use it to go back to where we keep our horses. What could we use on it to prevent it from getting muddy. I assume rocks would work here but how big should they be etc. Would the normal rocks used for making concrete work here. I believe they call it 3/4" rock or something like that. It gets so muddy though when it rains that we really cannot go back there with the vehicles to do our normal duties so we really should do something. How thick should the rocks be placed also. Thanks

Old 10-01-06, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Before you put any fill on your road you should really asses what the existing road bed consists of.
If for instance there are muskeg patches you could lay gravel down in these 'till the cows come home () and still have a mess.

I guess it depends on how expensive gravel is where you are.
If you lay six inches of pit run gravel down and it sinks you would have to decide whether to retop it or dig it out to a solid base.

Old 10-01-06, 02:31 PM
W
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Road

Before the gravel are put down, make sure the road has proper drainage. Then, after graveling, level with a scraper periodically when the road is dry, to maintain. If mud persists, add more gravel. You will eventually build up a solid base. Drainage and maintenance are key requirements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: