paver bricks

Old 10-01-06, 07:32 PM
M
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
paver bricks

I have a patio of about 50 ft X 15 ft I have covered with paving bricks made of concrete, size 5 in X 11 in X 2.5 in. I used a crushed rock base with about an inch of sand over it.

They mate pretty well but I usually have about 1/16 gap between them - at some places a little more. I hadn't planned on mortaring them together since this in Iowa with cold winters and the freeze/thaw cycle.

I was looking for something to sweep down between them, preferably red in color, to not only hold them in place, but to somewhat seal the gaps between them.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Bob

Old 10-01-06, 07:52 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interlocking concrete pavers require that you use a sharp sand to finish the installation. If it will have no vehicular traffic, you can get by without using a plate compactor, but you will have some local settling. You can use washed river sand, also called concrete sand, or masonry sand if that is what is available. Spread it over the patio, let it dry throughly, then sweep it into the joints.

Old 10-02-06, 12:28 PM
T
Or you could go to any local feed store and get barn lime. That stuff packs like you would believe. I have sold some of this to bricklayers from time to time. But.... it is white, not red.

Very cheap though

Old 10-02-06, 02:53 PM
paver bricks

The lime may fill the joints well, but it is very weak in compression and will do little to really stabilize the pavement surface. It is totally inacceptable for any pavement that will cary any kind of load.

Since it is lime, it is very possible that you could get white stains.

Dick

Old 10-03-06, 09:20 PM
M
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Thank all of you for the information and suggestions. I think I can get the concrete sand from the local quarry.

I appreciate it,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: