Applied wet-look sealer, need help!

Old 10-09-06, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Applied wet-look sealer, need help!

Over the weekend I took one of the days to apply 5 gallons of BEHR wet-look sealer (no.985 Hi-Gloss). I used a roller and tried to put on as even of a coat as possible. While the area was shaded in the cooler evening. This was after I scrubbed and washed the entire driveway (aggregate) with a degreaser and took over an hour rinsing it off. I also allowed plenty of time for it to dry, since I did all this earlier in the day while it was warm and sunny out.

Now after its all said and done I have streaks in some areas, and the driveway over all looks discolored. Its shiny, but I was hoping it would become a few shades darker, but I guess just using a hi-gloss wont do that.

Anyhow, how do you apply it without getting streaks. And I read on the back all the different ways to apply it, is rolling just a bad idea? Should I of sprayed it?

And now what do I do? Can I re-coat it with another method, or am I kind of stuck with it. I'm guessing like stain eventually it wears off and you have to re-do it.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-06, 05:31 PM
T
If you applied a sealer on the same day as you washed the driveway, it almost certainly was too damp to apply. Before you apply any surface sealer to concrete, you should do the moisture test to the area most likely to retain moisture:

Take a 12x12 piece of poly (like a garbage bag) and duct tape it to the concrete. Let it sit for 24 hours, then check for condensation on the poly. If there is any, then do not apply a surface sealer (which a wet look sealer is).

Old 10-09-06, 05:33 PM
T
Also, for an exposed aggregate slab, it is better to spray with a bug sprayer than roll, since the rough surface will cause the sealer to be applied too thick.

Old 10-10-06, 04:00 AM
Thanks so much for the reply.

So at this point since I put a heavy coat on with the roller, and when it was too damp. Am I screwed? Or will the sealer wear off over the winter? Do you reccomend trying to put another coat on with a bug spray over this one to "even" it out some, and I noticed some of the people that live around me have much darker driveways. Do they sell tinted sealers?

Thanks again,

Mark