cleaning fire soot from concrete

Old 10-12-06, 04:00 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cleaning fire soot from concrete

Now that it took me an hour to figure how to post this, I hope I get a lot of good replies.

The house we were building for the last 2 years burned down, with only the foundation standing (structurally intact per an engineer). We have a VERY wide range of bids for cleaning and sealing it. We instead were hoping to do it ourself, but do not know how to proceed. We are in the country with no resource to power-wash ourseves (or water source), a long distance to try to use electric from a neighbor. Someone suggested just sealing it then painting it. Others suggested cleaning with muriatic acid, which we have no experience with. Sandblasting would also be difficult without an electric source. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing?
Kimt32

Old 10-12-06, 04:23 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are masonry/soot cleaners available. A couple hand pump sprayers could be used. Clean a section at a time. One person wets the masonry with plain water, and the other sprays on the cleaner. The person with the plain water comes along behind after several minutes to spray and rinse. Then, move on to the next section. Repeat applications may be necessary depending upon severity of staining. A brush may also be necessary.

Old 10-12-06, 06:19 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What he said, and do not use an acidic cleaner as it will have no effect upon soot, and undesirable effects on the concrete.

Old 10-13-06, 07:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Most pressure washers are gas powered, they can be rented. Did I understand you to say you had no water source? I believe it would be hard to clean and rinse without an adequate supply of water.
If you have a well and no elec for the pump you can rent a generator.

BTW welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: