Refacing Concrete steps with Brick

Old 10-13-06, 08:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Refacing Concrete steps with Brick

Currently our home has a slab concrete landing and steps leading up to our front door (approximately 15 feet wide, 3 feet deep, 3 feet high). The concrete is unattractive and our hope is to place brick veneer on the top and sides of the concrete slab and steps. Some, but not all of the concrete landing and steps is covered by the roof of the house.

Do we need to prepare the concrete with something before installing the brick veneer? What procedures do we need to take in terms of ensuring that water doesn't seep into the house from between the house and the concrete slab (i.e. weeping holes)? Any advice you have for us would be appreciated! Many thanks!

The Scaglione Family

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 04:00 PM
S
I believe if the concrete is clean and unpainted you probably don't have to do much prep. to add the bricks, but we'll see what others say.

I do want to point out that steps have to be to code (riser and tread) and depending on how you do things, the bricks you plan to use may knock the top or bottom step out of code compliance.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-06, 09:16 PM
T
When you say "veneer brick" do you mean thin brick or do you mean you want to veneer the steps with regular brick?