epoxy paint or skim coat concrete?

Old 10-18-06, 10:09 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
epoxy paint or skim coat concrete?

i'm painting my parents house and i need to do something with the concrete patio and walkways and steps too.

i've preasure washed them and broken off 50 percent of the old chiping paint - at least 3 layers.

i was thinking of sanding it down and using behr's 1 part epoxy paint on it - they have the right color.

the only other paint i've found for the job is a oil based patio paint by benjamin moore.

the 1 part epoxy says not to use on vertical surfaces - does that include steps? and it warns against standing water, which there will be some times. i think the benjamin moore guy said their paint was 1 part epoxy too, so i'm guessing it'll have the same problems.

i've read stain doesn't look good on old concrete, so i've taken that off the list. paint doesn't seem to last at all so i'm worries about that. and i've heared you need a 2 part epoxy to make it last - but i don't know where to buy that and on the internet the prices are horrible.

what about putting on a skim coat of colored concrete? would this be a lasting alternative? how thin can you make a skim coat of concrete and have it last and be durrable for lots of foot traffic and garbage cans beeing dragged up and down steps?

thanks for your time,
max

Old 10-18-06, 10:34 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess by skim coat i meant concrete resurfacer:

i've noticed quickcrete makes a resurfacing product you just sweegee on. its a concrete product.

anybody konw how strong this stuff is or how long it lasts under garbage pail banging down the stairs type conditions?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: