concrete driveway slab help

Old 10-29-06, 01:03 PM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question concrete driveway slab help

I tore out shrubs in b/w my driveway and sidewalk and would now like to lay concrete. The area is about 6' x 20' with lots of large stone and dirt. What I need advise on is how far down to dig out and how much of, I presume, stone and sand to use. This must be compacted I presume too? And, do I need joints b/w the existing driveway and sidewalk?

Any other materials/methods in lue of concrete adisable? Ie: pavers?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-06, 03:52 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>(Ommgang)
==================

If you are digging by hand, dig no deeper than need be. For a drive way of concrete, at least 5" would be nice and should prove very serviceable for cars and even an occasional loaded UPS truck. No need dig any deeper assuming you have a good base (i.e. gravel, sand) and not something spongy like black dirt.
You should include at least a piece of welded 6" X 6" steel reinforcing pulled up into concrete as you pour the concrete screeding off side walk and existing driveway so the grade remains constant. (incidentally, use that same 2" X 4" as you dig out that spot in preparation for the pour to measure down and check your grade. It would be nice if you would include an expansion strip next to existing concrete and this strip must stay flush or slightly below your screed as you began to finish the project. So far as going out and renting a compactor, provided you only remove enough of the base to provide for the thickness of your new concrete flatwork is concerned and hand tamping is all that is really necessary. If it was a footing for a house or chimney, it would be nice to compact first with a store bought (or rented) compactor. We won't flunk you if you omit that part provided everything else is in order on the job site. (but we do inspect the job upon completion so give a shout when done)

bs5 (grin)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: