What to use for exterior foundation wall skim coat

Old 11-08-06, 09:54 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to use for exterior foundation wall skim coat

Hello,

My house is on a small hill and the driveway runs up right along the side of the foundation.
The foundation is exposed about 5' in the front of the house and about 2' in the back of the house further up the driveway. The previous owners applied some sort of textured concrete skim coat that is separating from the foundation, it's coming off in small sheets about 1/4" thick. It looks ugly and I'd like to scrape it all off and re-apply it for cosmetic purposes, I just don't know what "it" is. Can anyone tell me what I need to use for this? Is there a textured concrete skim coat product out there?

Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 10:17 AM
T
Sand/Cement, preferably with a bonding agent added. Just be sure and knock off all the old loose material, and remove 80%+ of any paint on the wall.

Old 11-08-06, 10:36 AM
H
Thanks for your reply.

Can this mixture be applied with some sort of roller? The existing skim coat does not look like it was applied with a trowel, it's a really even coat that resembles a textured ceiling finish.

Also - do I mix the cement and get it to the right consistency before mixing in the sand?

Old 11-08-06, 12:27 PM
T
It can not be rolled on, but it can be sprayed on with the proper equipment. No, you do not mix the cement first. You can buy it premixed; it is called sand-mix, or you can simply use pre-mixed mortar mix. It goes on with a trowel and is then rubbed smooth with a sponge float.