Crack In Basement Floor

Old 12-07-06, 08:56 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack In Basement Floor

We Have A Long Crack In The Basement Floor Of A 36yr Old House.near The Center Of The Room It Almost Sounds Hollow Beneath The Crack When You Stomp Your Foot On The Area. The Sound Tapers Off And Seems To Only Be Near The Center Of The Room. Should We Be Concerned?what Shall We Do If It Isin Fact A Problem?the Crack Is About 1/16 To 1/8 In In Some Areas.

Old 12-07-06, 03:28 PM
B
Does the basement have a tendancy to be damp? If so, has it been tiled and also has a sump pit been installed? Concrete floors crack over time especially in the center simply because a large concrete floor actually shrinks as the hydration or curing process takes place. I would be somewhat more concerned if it proves that settling or erosion of the base is taking place. Has any of the concrete surface deviated from he grade it was poured at? (or do the level of he cracked surfaces stay on plane?)

bs5

Old 12-08-06, 12:56 PM
M
Where the crack is most noticeable in the center of the room,it seems to be a slight bit raised and then tapers off.It is hardly even a noticeable difference.The basement is fairly dry.I would say it is avaerage.I really don't notice it being damp because we run a de-humidifier.The only time it was damp is when the gutters above the front wall of the basement used to overflow( due to clogging) and water would seep through the base where the wall/floor met.That has since been remedied and no water since.The house was not upkept for years before we bought it.Around the perimeter of the basement floor,all the walls meet the floor and there is no deviation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: