Driveway sinking

Old 12-15-06, 07:51 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driveway sinking

Hello,

I have a question about my sinking driveway. I just bought a house that was built in 1980. I'm guessing the driveway is the original. The back of the driveway (the end just before the garage seem to be sinking in causing a large "step up" to get into the driveway. What are my options?

I was thinking of just laying some more concrete down as a ramp to get into the garage (the step up is about 3 in) just so it's no so painful to get into the garage. Thoughts?

Old 12-15-06, 08:38 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting more concrete on top would be a mistake, and would not last very long at all. The weight of vehicle traffic would break it up in no time.

A better solution would be to either tear it out and repour, after having determined the cause of it sinking, or call a slabjacking company to come and raise it back up to its proper elevation.

My guess as to the sinking is that water is getting under it and eroding the substrate. Do you have any downspouts, etc. nearby that are not extended out into the yard or into a drain? The runoff could easily wash out the soil.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: